Meet Dr. Scott Owen
Dr. Owen is a specialist in Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. He is double board certified in Otolaryngology/Head-and-Neck Surgery and Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery.
Dr. Owen was born in San Diego, California, but spent time in England, Texas, Pennsylvania, and Virginia. He attended the Pennsylvania State University, where he graduated as a Schreyer Honors Scholar. He earned his medical degree from the University of Virginia before being accepted into one of the most prestigious Head and Neck Surgery/Otolaryngology Programs at the University of Iowa, where he completed both a surgical internship and residency. During his training, he obtained extensive experience in surgery of the head and neck, including facial trauma, cleft and craniofacial surgery, and head and neck cancer treatment and reconstruction.
Upon completion of his Head and Neck Surgery Residency, Dr. Owen was accepted into the highly competitive Facial Plastics and Reconstructive Surgery Fellowship at Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville, Tennessee. During this training he spent time under three of the best-known Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons, gaining extensive hands-on experience in all aspects of reconstructive and cosmetic surgery of the face and neck.
He was invited to return to the University of Iowa where he serves as Director of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery in the Department of Head-and-Neck Surgery/Otolaryngology, and Assistant Director to the Residency program.
Dr. Owen met his wife while training at the University of Iowa, and they were happy to return to Iowa City and call it home. They enjoy traveling and the outdoors, and spending time with their daughter and golden retriever.
- Undergrad, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA
- MD, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA
- Internship, Head and Neck Surgery/Otolaryngology, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA
- Residency, Head and Neck Surgery/Otolaryngology, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA
- Fellowship, Facial Plastics and Reconstructive Surgery, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, TN
Honors & Awards
- Schreyer Honors Scholar, Pennsylvania State University